Studies in Family Planning
© The Population Council
Edited By: John Bongaarts (Chairman, Editorial Committee) and Stephanie Psaki (Editor)
Impact Factor: 2.192
ISI Journal Citation Reports © Ranking: 2015: 4/26 (Demography)
Online ISSN: 1728-4465
Associated Title(s): Population and Development Review
Studies in Family Planning accepts only electronic submissions using ScholarOne Manuscripts. To submit a manuscript, please follow the instructions below.
1. Launch your web browser and go to the Studies in Family Planning ScholarOne Manuscripts homepage.
2. Log-in or click the 'Create Account' option if you are a first-time user of ScholarOne Manuscripts.
3. If you are creating a new account:
· After clicking on 'Create Account', enter your name and e-mail information and click 'Next'. Your e-mail information is very important
· Enter your institution and address information as appropriate, and then click 'Next'
· Enter a user ID and password of your choice (we recommend using your e-mail address as your user ID), and then select your area of
expertise. Click 'Finish'.
4. If you have an account but have forgotten your log-in details, go to “Password Help” on the journal’s ScholarOne Manuscripts homepage and enter your e-mail address. The system will send you details on how to log in.
5. Log-in and select “Author Center.”
Submitting Your Manuscript
1. After you have logged in, click the 'Submit a Manuscript' link in the menu bar.
2. Enter data and answer questions as appropriate.
3. Click the 'Next' button on each screen to save your work and advance to the next screen.
4. You are required to upload your files.
· Click on the 'Browse' button and locate the file on your computer.
· Select the designation of each file in the drop down next to the 'Browse' button.
· When you have selected all the files you wish to upload, click the 'Upload Files' button.
5. Review your submission (in both PDF and HTML formats) before sending to the Journal. Click the 'Submit' button when you are finished reviewing.
You may suspend a submission at any phase before clicking the 'Submit' button and save it to submit later. After submission, you will receive a confirmation e-mail. You can also access ScholarOne Manuscripts any time to check the status of your manuscript. The Journal will inform you by e-mail once a decision has been made.
Getting Help with your Submission
Each page of the ScholarOne Manuscripts website has a 'Get Help Now' icon connecting directly to the online support system at http://mchelp.manuscriptcentral.com/gethelpnow/index.html. Telephone support is available 24 hours a day, 5 days a week through the US ScholarOne Support Office on: +1 434 817 2040.
· The review process is double blind to ensure an impartial evaluation. Thus, the author’s name and any identifying information should appear only on the title page of the manuscript. Do not include any identifying information in the abstract or manuscript.
· The title page should contain the title of the manuscript and the names and institutional affiliations for all authors as they want them printed in the published journal. The complete address, phone number, and email address of the corresponding author should also be included.
The title of the article must not be longer than 70 characters (including spaces). If the title is longer than 70 characters, we cannot guarantee that the entire title will be included on the cover. Please do not include the author(s) name in the filename.
An Abstract of 150 words is required. It should summarize the main findings of the paper.
· It is essential that all submissions conform to acceptable standards of English style and usage.
· All pages must have consecutive page numbering. Do not use other headers or footers.
· All references to monographs, articles, and other sources should be inserted at the appropriate place in the text, preferably at the end of a sentence.
A list of Notes should appear at the end of the main text and not on pages within the text. Notes are generally discouraged and should be kept to a minimum. Never use notes to cite materials.
· For multiple authorship, provide all names. For institutional authorship, provide minimum identification.
· If there are several references to the same author and year, they should be distinguished by the letters a, b, c, etc., as in 2000a, 2000b, 2000c in both the text and the list of references at the end of the text.
· All references listed in the reference section at the end of the manuscript must be cited in the text, and all references listed in the text must be included in the reference section. For citations for more than two authors, use “et al.” after the first author’s last name.
· The reference list should be headed References. If your paper is accepted, these references will need to follow Harvard reference style: author(s) last name(s) and year of publication in text in parentheses; author(s) full name(s), date, title, publisher, place of publication, and inclusive page numbers in reference list.
Table and Figures
· Tables and Figures should be submitted at the end of the text with each Table and Figure on a separate page.
· Tables and Figures should be kept to a minimum.
· Tables should be numbered consecutively in the order in which they are cited. Each Table must be cited in the text. Insert a line indicating where the Table or Figure should be placed in the text. In layout, tables are placed as close as possible to their first citation in the text.
· Each Table and Figure should have a self-contained title.
Note to Contributors on Deposit of Accepted Version
Certain funders, including the NIH, members of the Research Councils UK (RCUK) and Wellcome Trust require deposit of the Accepted Version in a repository after an embargo period. Details of funding arrangements are set out at the following website.
For authors choosing OnlineOpen
If the OnlineOpen option is selected the corresponding author will have a choice of the following Creative Commons License Open Access Agreements (OAA):
i) Creative Commons Attribution License OAA
ii) Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial License OAA
iii) Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial -NoDerivs License OAA
To preview the terms and conditions of these open access agreements please visit the Copyright FAQs hosted on Wiley Author Services and visit here.
If you select the OnlineOpen option and your research is funded by The Wellcome Trust and members of the Research Councils UK (RCUK) or the Austrian Science Fund (FWF) you will be given the opportunity to publish your article under a CC-BY license supporting you in complying with your Funder requirements. For more information on this policy and the Journal’s compliant self-archiving policy please visit here.
All other correspondence, outside manuscript submission and status of papers, should be sent to:
Studies in Family Planning
One Dag Hammarskjold Plaza
New York, NY, USA