Focus on Geography
© 2014 American Geographical Society of New York
Edited By: Dr. Tom Bell and Dr. Peggy Gripshover
Online ISSN: 1949-8535
Associated Title(s): Geographical Review
Recently Published Articles
- Getting Revved Up About Sinkholes! (pages 97–100)
Leslie A. North, Jason S. Polk and Daniel Nedvidek
Article first published online: 16 JUL 2014 | DOI: 10.1111/foge.12031
- Rethinking the Economic Geography of the Coca Leaf: Fortune, Folly, or Fantasy? (pages 84–96)
Timothy Scott Pruett
Article first published online: 16 JUL 2014 | DOI: 10.1111/foge.12030
This article explains the role of Peruvian coca production in the war on drugs and explores the viability of expanding the market for legal, non-narcotic coca products as a means of reducing the flow of coca leaf toward the illicit cocaine market and potentially reducing conflict between peasants and the state in Peru.
- Born to Run: Kentucky Derby Winners' Foaling Locations in Kentucky, 1875-2013 (pages 54–83)
Margaret M. Gripshover
Article first published online: 16 JUL 2014 | DOI: 10.1111/foge.12029
The author investigates the spatial and temporal patterns of foaling locations for Kentucky-born Kentucky Derby winners, from 1875 to 2013.
- A Picture is Worth 1000 Words: The Potemkin Stairs in Odessa, Ukraine (pages 101–102)
David J. Keeling
Article first published online: 16 JUL 2014 | DOI: 10.1111/foge.12032
The Potemkin Stairs in Odessa is symbolic of the city's historical experiences with propaganda, revolution, and class struggle.
- Dams and Development: Understanding Hydropower in Far Western Yunnan Province, China (pages 43–53)
Article first published online: 16 JUL 2014 | DOI: 10.1111/foge.12028
Hydropower and infrastructure development in Yunnan Province is examined as are the growing demands for energy in China.