School Science and Mathematics
© School Science and Mathematics Association
Edited By: Carla C. Johnson, Editor; Shelly Harkness, Co-Editor
Online ISSN: 1949-8594
Science, mathematics, and connections between mathematics and science for grades K-graduate and teacher education, especially science and mathematics education articles that deal with assessment, attitudes, beliefs, curriculum, equity, research, translating research into practice, learning theory, alternative conceptions, philosophy and history of science, sociocultural issues, special populations, technology, nontraditional forms of instruction, and science/technology/society.
Submit your manuscript through the ScholarOne site. You will need to register at the site and follow the instructions.
The lead author must be a member of the School Science and Mathematics Association to submit the article and must remain a member in good standing at the time of publication of the paper. Membership information can be found at the Association web site www.ssma.org.
All manuscripts must be prepared according to the 6th Edition of the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association. Submissions that are not APA style, or exceed the length limitation, or lack any of the following components will be returned for correction and not reviewed.
1. An abstract not to exceed 200 words on a separate page
2. Typed double-spaced manuscript using a 12-point or larger font, with 1'' margins top, bottom, and sides. Manuscript should be limited to 25 pages, excluding figures, tables, and appendices. There should be no more than five pages of tables and figures combined.
3. To maintain anonymity, DO NOT include a cover page with author information. In the manuscript, author(s) citing their own work should cite as follows:
In text: Author (2007) found...
On reference list: Author (2007). Journal Title.(Do not include title of article or volume and page #)
4. Graphics should be black type on white background. Do not use color in graphs or figures. Follow APA guidelines for table and figure format and titles. Each table or figure should be on a separate page at the end of the manuscript, with a note within the manuscript where the graphic should be placed. Use no smaller than 8-point font for text on figures; use no smaller than 11-point font for tables. Figures and tables should be no wider than 6.75 inches.
All manuscripts are subject to a review process. Manuscripts should not have been previously published nor be under consideration for publication in any other journal.
Type of review: Blind review
No. of external reviewers: Three
No. of in-house reviewers: One
Time to review: 6-7 months
Acceptance rate: 20%
Reviewers’ comments are returned to the author
The Editor will use five categories to notify the author of the decision of the reviewer process: Accept, Accept with Minor Revisions, Accept with Major Revisions, Reject and Encourage Resubmission, or Reject. If the decision is to Accept with Revisions, the author(s) are encouraged to complete revisions within 30 days. The revised manuscript will be sent out for review to the same external reviewers as possible.
The manuscript will first be evaluated for fit with the journal guidelines, alignment with APA, and topic alignment with priorities of the journal. The Editor will reject manuscripts that do not adhere to these criteria without review.
The following criteria will be used by reviewers in evaluating the appropriateness of manuscripts for publication in School Science and Mathematics:
• Relevant, timely, and significant
• Addresses K-graduate science or mathematics education issues
• Explicit, clear, logical, concise
• Reflect current theoretical/literature/practice-based perspectives
In addition, research manuscripts are judged on:
• Problem/Research Questions
• Theoretical framework/Literature Review
• Data Analysis/Results
• Written presentation/Style
• Adds new knowledge