School Science and Mathematics
© School Science and Mathematics Association
Edited By: Carla C. Johnson, Editor; Shelly Harkness, Co-Editor
Online ISSN: 1949-8594
Science, mathematics, and connections between mathematics and science for grades K-graduate and teacher education, especially science and mathematics education articles that deal with assessment, attitudes, beliefs, curriculum, equity, research, translating research into practice, learning theory, alternative conceptions, philosophy and history of science, sociocultural issues, special populations, technology, nontraditional forms of instruction, and science/technology/society.
Submit your manuscript through the ScholarOne site. You will need to register at the site and follow the instructions.
The lead author must be a member of the School Science and Mathematics Association to submit the article and must remain a member in good standing at the time of publication of the paper. Membership information can be found at the Association web site www.ssma.org.
All manuscripts must be prepared according to the 6th Edition of the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association. Submissions that are not APA style, or exceed the length limitation, or lack any of the following components will be returned for correction and not reviewed.
1. An abstract not to exceed 200 words on a separate page
2. Typed double-spaced manuscript using a 12-point or larger font, with 1'' margins top, bottom, and sides. Manuscript should be limited to 25 pages, excluding figures, tables, and appendices. There should be no more than five pages of tables and figures combined.
3. To maintain anonymity, DO NOT include a cover page with author information. In the manuscript, author(s) citing their own work should cite as follows:
In text: Author (2007) found...
On reference list: Author (2007). Journal Title.(Do not include title of article or volume and page #)
4. Graphics should be black type on white background. Do not use color in graphs or figures. Follow APA guidelines for table and figure format and titles. Each table or figure should be on a separate page at the end of the manuscript, with a note within the manuscript where the graphic should be placed. Use no smaller than 8-point font for text on figures; use no smaller than 11-point font for tables. Figures and tables should be no wider than 6.75 inches.
All manuscripts are subject to a review process. Manuscripts should not have been previously published nor be under consideration for publication in any other journal.
Type of review: Blind review
No. of external reviewers: Three
No. of in-house reviewers: One
Time to review: 6-7 months
Acceptance rate: 20%
Reviewers’ comments are returned to the author
The Editor will use five categories to notify the author of the decision of the reviewer process: Accept, Accept with Minor Revisions, Accept with Major Revisions, Reject and Encourage Resubmission, or Reject. If the decision is to Accept with Revisions, the author(s) are encouraged to complete revisions within 30 days. The revised manuscript will be sent out for review to the same external reviewers as possible.
The manuscript will first be evaluated for fit with the journal guidelines, alignment with APA, and topic alignment with priorities of the journal. The Editor will reject manuscripts that do not adhere to these criteria without review.
The following criteria will be used by reviewers in evaluating the appropriateness of manuscripts for publication in School Science and Mathematics:
• Relevant, timely, and significant
• Addresses K-graduate science or mathematics education issues
• Explicit, clear, logical, concise
• Reflect current theoretical/literature/practice-based perspectives
In addition, research manuscripts are judged on:
• Problem/Research Questions
• Theoretical framework/Literature Review
• Data Analysis/Results
• Written presentation/Style
• Adds new knowledge
If your paper is accepted, the author identified as the formal corresponding author for the paper will receive an email prompting them to login into Author Services; where via the Wiley Author Licensing Service (WALS) they will be able to complete the license agreement on behalf of all authors on the paper.
For authors signing the copyright transfer agreement
If the OnlineOpen option is not selected the corresponding author will be presented with the copyright transfer agreement (CTA) to sign. The terms and conditions of the CTA can be previewed in the samples associated with the Copyright FAQs below:
CTA Terms and Conditions http://authorservices.wiley.com/bauthor/faqs_copyright.asp
For authors choosing OnlineOpen
If the OnlineOpen option is selected the corresponding author will have a choice of the following Creative Commons License Open Access Agreements (OAA):
Creative Commons Attribution License OAA
Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial License OAA
Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial -NoDerivs License OAA
To preview the terms and conditions of these open access agreements please visit the Copyright FAQs hosted on Wiley Author Services http://authorservices.wiley.com/bauthor/faqs_copyright.asp and visit http://www.wileyopenaccess.com/details/content/12f25db4c87/Copyright--License.html.
If you select the OnlineOpen option and your research is funded by The Wellcome Trust and members of the Research Councils UK (RCUK) you will be given the opportunity to publish your article under a CC-BY license supporting you in complying with Wellcome Trust and Research Councils UK requirements. For more information on this policy and the Journal’s compliant self-archiving policy please visit: http://www.wiley.com/go/funderstatement.